Founded by brothers Bill and Bob Boyer in 1936, the company initially produced nut raisin clusters and homemade fudge. The brothers started their business selling door to door.
After those early forays into the candy business, Boyer became notable in the late 1930s for Mallo Cups, a cup-shaped candy consisting of a marshmallow center covered with chocolate.
The company was acquired by American Maize Products in 1969 and then by Consolidated Brands in 1984. The company still operates from its original plant located in Altoona, Pennsylvania.
The company expanded its line to include Smoothies, a peanut butter center covered with butterscotch. The company also produced other short-lived cup candies such as Fluffernutter, a mixture of marshmallow and peanut butter covered in chocolate.
Boyer products include "coins" printed on the cardboard package insert. The coins are collectible and redeemable for prizes from Boyer's catalog.